Monday, January 10, 2011

Qwest doesn't "get it"

Is there a worse company, when it comes to customer service, than Qwest?

I have dozens (yes, dozens) of negative personal experiences with this company, and could devote an entire web site to describing just how bad they are.  In every business at which I've worked, there have been Qwest horror stories.  As a residential customer, things are no better.

I'm going to tell just one today, however.  Last fall my neighbor requested a new line for his fax machine.  The Qwest technician connected his phone to my line.  I discovered this when I picked up the phone one evening and had a party line with my neighbor (who was making a long distance call on my line).  I called and e-mailed Qwest, asking them to correct the problem, and several days later they sent someone out who disconnected my phone line.

The next day, I called Qwest from work and told them how their technician's error only made the error of the other technician even worse.  They said it would be fixed that day, but it wasn't.  I called them again the next day, and said they really needed to correct the mistakes their employees kept making.  They told me someone would be there between 11am and 3pm.  That's quite a wide window, but I managed to get home for it, so I could talk to their repair guy and make sure he did it right. 

When nobody showed after four hours of waiting, I drove to the General Store to call them.  The person who answered the phone wasn't the least bit sympathetic, more than a little curt, and told me that the four hour window was "an estimate."  What?  Are you kidding me?  Telling me "he'll be there at 2 pm" is an estimate.  Giving me a four hour window during which I have to put my life on hold to wait for their nincompoop isn't an estimate! 

At 6:30, over seven hours after their four hour window began, two of their techs drove up and fixed the problem in about thirty seconds.  So, six days after one of their people attached my neighbor's phone to my line; five days after I reported the problem; and three days after they disconnected my phone, it was finally working again!

I e-mailed Qwest to complain about all the problems - problems they caused and made worse - and was told that "due to the high volume of service calls," not everything can be fixed right away.  Well, forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but if you didn't screw things up in the first place, and make them worse by sending incompetent technicians out to fix them, you wouldn't have such a high volume of service calls!

No comments:

Post a Comment